Join Our LIVE
Monday, April 6, 2020 | 11 am - 12 Noon
Earn MCLE CreditOVERVIEW:
- The purpose of the seminar is to educate the general public and attorneys on gun laws in response to the recent increase in gun and ammunition sales due to COVID-19. Some rights have been restricted such as court closures and right to assembly have many wondering how their rights will be affected which has led to many exercising their constitutional right under the Second Amendment.
- People are lining up at gun stores amid COVID-19 fears on looming rumors of the President implementing Martial Law. See Buzzfeed story and pictures to post on Twitter: https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/america-world-guns.
- Citizens are exercising their rights to bear arms in this uncertain time however, it is important to understand the laws and restrictions. We will be discussing legal offenses of firearm possession such as what constitutes a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the possessor. Authorities are making every effort to not enforce arrests for certain offenses however, it is important to understand your rights under the law. (See next bullet on decreased enforcement).
- To alleviate the spread of COVID-19 some inmates are being released to reduce jail population which includes people with a total bail of less than $50,000. Authorities have been directed to issue citations rather than bookings whenever possible to cut the number of inmates. See LA Times article: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-16/la-jail-population-arrests-down-amid-coronavirus.
- What happens if Martial Law is put into effect? The Second Amendment right was given to the People for the purpose to bear arms against a tyrannical government and according to my research even under Martial Law enforcement to restrict or infringe this right is in violation of the Constitution.